We know it can be difficult to eat those 1800-2000 (or more if you are exercising) calories a day to keep up a robust milk supply while breastfeeding, so here are some fantastic tips for delicious, easy, nutritious snacks! Remember: Think healthy fats, complete proteins, and green veggies!
Here are some of the most effective milk production-supporting foods out there:
- Vegetables: green leafy vegetables, onion, garlic, asparagus, carrots, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, mushrooms, and seaweed
- Fruits: figs, dates, apricots, green papaya
- Nuts and Seeds: raw almonds and cashews, sesame seeds, flaxseed
- Oils: Extra virgin olive oil, organic butter, sesame seed oil, coconut oil, essential fatty acids (EFA)
- Grains and Legumes: quinoa, amaranth, pinto beans, chickpeas, whole brown rice
- Extras: brewer’s yeast, nutritional yeast, green drinks (spirulina, barley wheat grass, alfalfa leaf, oat straw, kelp), ginger