In-home 90-minute or more private consultation - $185 OR In-Office 90-minute private consultation - $120. Twins, add $25. If this fee is unaffordable, we have a foundation that provides reduced-fee consultations. Please check out our SDBFC Foundation page to learn more about our sliding scale.
These private lactation visits are for mothers (and their partners) who are having breastfeeding challenges.
What Takes Place at a Postpartum Breastfeeding Consultation?
- Baby's suck is evaluated for strength and range of motion
- Breastfeeding position and latch are assessed
- Baby is weighed before and after the feeding to see how much breastmilk was transferred
- Mom and baby are given a customized Plan of Care
- Mom receives a follow-up phone call/email within 48 hours
- This consultation may take place in the hospital, in the home, or in our office, after hospital or birth center discharge.
Some insurance policies will cover the cost of a lactation consultation; all consultations will include paperwork to file with your insurance company and a report sent to your primary care provider(s). If you have Aetna PPO, Tricare Standard, Tricare Prime, or have received an authorization to see us from UCSD Managed Care, we will bill your insurance for you.
Some issues that indicate a prenatal/postpartum consultation :
- Baby not latching on or nursing well within 24 hours of birth
- Nipple pain and/or damage
- Engorged breasts
- Sleepy baby that does not feed at least 8 times in 24 hours
- Slow weight gain - infant has not returned to birth weight by 10 days of age
- Plugged ducts or red, painful areas on breast
- Mom feels she doesn’t have enough milk
- Nursing multiples
- Sick and/or hospitalized infants
- Inducing lactation for adopted or intended child
To book an in-home postpartum consultation, please call 619-606-2211 or email email@example.com. To book an in-office postpartum consultation, please click here: