On Thanksgiving, most American families sit around the table and talk about the things that they are most thankful for in their lives. Many of us even use Facebook as a way to express our gratitude to our friends in cyberspace. Yet, beyond those statements of gratitude, I know that there are those secret little gems that we are all really thinking, but may be too embarrassed to admit in a group setting.
Well, ladies, it’s time to share those embarrassing bits of gratitude because they are truly the essence of Motherhood. I’ll go first, if you promise to add to the list of comments!
10 Things I’m Most Thankful For This Year:
- Mondays – I used to hate Mondays when I was working full time, but I have to admit, they are now my favorite day of the week. Mondays = school for the kids and the first of 5 mornings to myself. Mama needs a little time to herself once in a while.
- Viva Pops – Organic, locally-grown, popsicles that are the best $2.50 treat (i.e.,bribe to get my kids to behave) in San Diego. Plus, Lisa (the owner) is the nicest lady EVER!
- Morning cup of coffee – I never liked coffee until I had kids. Now its sweet, caffeinated smell perks me up when I am awoken an hour earlier than my body requires and sends surges of energy through my exhausted body. Delicious!
- Laundry – Yes, I said laundry. Want to know why? Because my washer/dryer are in the scary, dark garage….a place where no child/husband wants to go. This means that those 20 minutes it takes me to fold clothes will be done in peace and quiet, without any interruptions. Awesome, right?
- Airtime – Another San Diego favorite. This is a HUGE warehouse with 6 bounce-house/obstacle courses that literally wear my boys out during the 90-minute free play. We have been coming here since my boys were 2 years old and they LOVE it! Happy boys = happy mommy!
- Earrings – This one piece of jewelry off-sets the bags under my eyes and the fact that I am too lazy to put on make-up or trendy clothing. I hosted a party and got $300 worth of free jewelry! (Thanks, Mindy!) Way worth the money I spent on bagels and mimosas.
- IPhone – Greatest invention EVER! So intuitive that my 5 and 6 year olds have mastered it. Perfect for distracting the kids while waiting for school pick-up and on airplane/car trips. Another perfect way to bribe for good behavior. Plus, my kids are becoming future directors/photographers. Maybe this will end up in a scholarship to college!
- In N Out Burger – As a mom of a gluten-free child, quick and easy food is slim pickings. In n Out toasts their buns on a separate grill and they don’t fry anything with gluten in the french fry fryer. Can you say cheeseburger, hold the bun, with french fries and a lemonade? Delicious, quick food for those nights when I am not in the mood to cook. Love it!
- My Besties – My girlfriends are so amazing! I have known Ashley, Anney, Michelle, and Jess for at least 20 years, and up to 28 years. These ladies are my biggest supporters, never judge my actions, and crack me up on a daily basis. I don’t know how I would survive motherhood without them.
- San Diego – There’s a reason why none of us can afford a decent-sized home here….otherwise the entire world would want to relocate. 78 degrees in November, 330 sunny days/year; damn, San Diego, you rock! I went to school in St. Louis and I seriously felt depression during those cold, crappy winter months. No need for seasonal depression here. Plus, good weather = days I can spend outside with my boys, running out their testosterone-filled energy.